Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Wrap-up and Low-Key Grown-up Costumes

How was everyone's Halloween?  I hope you all had a fun, safe night!  We had a great time going trick-or-treating with my brother and his family.  My little super heroes were so excited and ready to go.

Cat on a Limb-7873.jpg


Cat on a Limb-7876.jpg


Here's how our whole family of costumes turned out: (Please pardon the extremely goofy/lame photo... I actually hesitated posting it, but I did want to show how the grown-up costumes turned out.)

Cat on a Limb-.jpg


Can you tell who I'm supposed to be? Here's another hint:

Cat on a Limb--2.jpg


Know now? Hawk Woman! Well, actually it's Hawk Girl, but my kids thought I deserved the title of woman. :) And by the way, there is a serious lack of female superheroes. It seems like most of the women are on the villain side of things...

But anyway, we had a great time and I hope you all did too!

P.S. I love Halloween for the experience of dressing up and going trick-or-treating for the kids, but I do not enjoy the candy. It makes my kids even crazier than they are normally (even with just one piece per day) and it's very hard for me to resist as well. I'm very temped, especially after watching the video below, to just throw it all out. But the hard part is helping my kids to understand that just because something tastes good, doesn't mean they should eat it. And I would understand peoples' arguments when they say "It's just once a year", "Let them binge and throw the rest out", "Just be sure they brush their teeth well", etc, etc, IF it really was just once a year. But the problem is the Western culture has become so saturated with sugar. It's in everything and everyone has tons of sweets for every occasion, or just daily for no reason at all. That's a major problem for many reasons.

Here's the video that has changed my perspective about sugar in a lot of ways. There's a lot to the professor's lecture, but essentially he explains how sugar is just as toxic to our bodies (i.e. our livers) as alcohol is. It also explains how sugar, NOT fat, makes people fat. (The whole "low fat" craze is completely wrong). If you have the time to watch it's an amazing video!


2 comments:

  1. I buy the cheapest possible candy to give out since people are going to throw it away. I also don't go to the ward trunk or treat activities for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all are adorable! Love the costumes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...