Thursday, November 4, 2010

Simple, No-pattern, Two-tiered Girls Skirt


This is the skirt I made to go with my daughter’s fairy Halloween costume. 

I started out with a vintage sheet I found at a thrift store.  (I actually found several of them, one of which I’m going to use to make a fabulous fifties style dress for myself)  Cut strips of fabric from the edges that had a border and hemmed the bottom edge (for a slightly cleaner finish you can wait to hem the strips until you’ve sewn the side seams).  I actually just cut them longer than I would need, with the intent of testing the width on my daughter later.   

IMG_4078


IMG_4079

Cut an extra strip of fabric to make the bottom tier of the skirt long enough.  Sew it to the bottom tier, turn and topstitch.  [For a variation you can gather the bottom tier and sew it to the flat extra strip to give the skirt a little extra poof]  At this point I measured on my daughter and estimated how wide would create a cute gathered skirt.  Cut both strips to length and sew the side seams. 

IMG_4080


IMG_4081

Put the bottom tier inside the top tier with the right side of the top facing the wrong side of the bottom tier, like so and stitch… 

IMG_4082


Pull the bottom tier through and press (iron).  [Sorry I changed the angle of the skirt in the photos]

IMG_4084


Flip the top tier over  and press again. 

IMG_4085


Stitch a seam about 1/8” wider than your elastic away from the top edge of the skirt, but leave a gap so you can insert the elastic.  

IMG_4086


IMG_4087


My highly technical, complicated and difficult (note: sarcasm) way of inserting elastic…

IMG_4088


Insert the safety-pin into the gap, push it through the channel, bunching up the fabric.  Hold the safety-pin and smooth the fabric out over the elastic.  Repeat until near the end of the elastic. 

IMG_4090


IMG_4091


When you get close to the end, pin the elastic to the fabric so you don’t end up pulling it into the channel and have to pull it all the way through just to start over again!

IMG_4092


Continue to push the safety-pin through the channel until it comes out the other end.  Pull it through enough to keep the fabric out of the way while you sew the elastic together.  Make sure the elastic is not twisted, lay one side flat on top of the other side and stitch. 

IMG_4093


IMG_4094

Pull the elastic so it completely goes inside the channel, even out the fullness and stitch the channel closed. 

IMG_4095


Voila, skirt complete!  (I cut off a bit of the bottom level because it was too long.)

IMG_4098


15 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! thanks for this detailed tutorial, hoping I can follow along and make one for my little! How fun! I love that you used ol pillow cases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous. I'm going to have to save this one. I'm working on teaching myself to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I was hoping someone would be able to make use of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sheet is in really good condition. I love the pattern. I also really enjoy your blog backround. nicegoing on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love making skirts for my girl so I can get just the look we want. Thanks for linking up this project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's simple and cute! Thanks for sharing at Trendy Treehouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy!

    http://sewwoodsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I'm sharing this with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! I giggled when I read about pinning the elastic to the skirt before inserting. I hate when I forget that part. lol I have to admit it has been eons since I worked with elastic. Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute and easy. I'm featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've followed your tute and thank you, I just love all your photo's and clear instructions

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks so easy and great, any tips on making one for women...think i need to treat myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking make the circumference of the skirt at least twice the measurement of your waist (more if you want a fuller skirt), then add an inch for seam allowance, and just be sure to make it long enough, then you can follow the tutorial just the same.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...