Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tree Love Embroidery Pattern

A little while ago my family and I were invited to attend the wedding reception for my cousin's daughter.  The theme was country and their invitation stated "Cowboy boots encouraged".  When thinking about gifts I knew I wanted to give them something special and unique and immediately this project I found on Pinterest came to mind:


I loved the idea of the adorable initials and heart "carved" into the tree and there's actually a link to the pattern for this one as well.  You can click the photo to go to the pin, then click through to the website.

I wanted something just a little bit different, with a couple different colors, so I drew up this pattern:


You can download my pattern here -- Embroidery Pattern -- Alphabet Pattern

With a little bit of rustic-looking fabric and cotton embroidery thread I was able to complete the project in just a couple of hours.  I found the perfect frame at a local arts/crafts shop and had my gift ready far in advance (unlike my last wedding gift!).

I traced the pattern onto the fabric using a water-soluble marker.

Cat on a Limb-7393.jpg


The stitches were very simple.  I used a running stitch for the two colors in the tree.

Cat on a Limb-7394.jpg


And a backstitch for the heart, arrow, and initials. 

Cat on a Limb-7396.jpg


Cat on a Limb-7397.jpg


Cat on a Limb-7398.jpg

When I was done with the stitching, I used a damp cloth to gently wipe/blot the ink off the fabric.


Here is the final result:

Cat on a Limb-7403.jpg


Cat on a Limb-7404.jpg


In a few days I'll have some kits available for purchase in my Etsy shop. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties:

 Monday -  Craft o Maniac Monday -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party  --  Tuesday -  Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Upcycled Awesome -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Tuesday Talent Show --  Wednesday -  Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Create and Share -- Whatever Goes Wednesday --  Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- Thursday -  Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Friday -  Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Show and Share Day -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- Pity Party -- Design Dazzle --  Saturday - Saturday Spotlight --  Sunday -  The DIY Showoff Project  Parade --  Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

16 comments:

  1. I love this! What a thoughtful gift! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really nice gift. They'll probably own that longer than a toaster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really caught my eye - very cute and K&B are me and my hubby's initials!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute, especially as a gift. I don't think I would have the patience to make this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special gift! I have to make this some day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this <3
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this - thank you so much for sharing! I think I'll make this for my hard-to-buy-for sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your embroidery tree is so darn cute! Thanks for sharing at catch as catch can!
    gail
    ps catching you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I made my way over here from tt&j. I love your project. I will have to check out your etsy shop next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute! we are featuring it on the blog, facebook, twitter and pinterest today! have a lovely weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOw do you wash the pen off the fabric after you're done? Do the colors in the floss stain like red can in the wash? I'm such a novice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you use a special water-soluble marker from the notions section at the fabric/craft store, you will be able to gently blot it off with a damp cloth.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love yours way better :) Great idea and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just seeing this now and have been to your etsy shop and found I am way to late. I've never done anything like this before but really want to try! The idea matches a wedding invitation I just got perfectly!!!! Could you email me a list of materials needed? I'm not crafty at all, would this be a doable project for a beginner?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...