Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jewelry Box to Fancy Pincushion


Several months back I went on a little thrifting spree and picked up lots of little things to refinish/repurpose.  One of those things was a cracked little metal jewelry box with a broken lid (for $1.00).  I think I remember having one just like it when I was a little girl.  I quickly fell in love with the tiny Queen Anne style legs and swirly flourishes on the sides.

IMG_5107


IMG_5112


I didn't care for the lid, and it was half dented anyway. Luckily it was broken clean off with no jagged edges, so I just discarded it.

IMG_5110


At first I was thinking of painting the box and using it as a dish to store quarters for laundry. (Might as well have something that makes you happy every time you reach for more, and more, and more quarters to do laundry, right?) Then I had a different idea.

I pulled out the E6000 (for the first time ever, can you believe it?), glued the crack and clamped it in place overnight. Painted and sealed it, then made a little densely-packed pillow (made with a fat quarter and poly fil) to stuff inside.

Voila! I have a fancy new pincushion! (For a total cost of $2.50)

IMG_6479


IMG_6482
Not much evidence of the crack!


IMG_6483

-------------------------------------
I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties!

Meet Virginia Design


Monday - Craft o Maniac Monday -- Pink Hippo Party -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party -- Making the World Cuter Monday -- Making Monday Marvelous -- Tuesday - Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Take a Look Tuesday -- Show Me What Ya Got -- Tuesday Time Out -- Show and Tell at Blue Cricket -- Tutorial Tuesday -- Anti-Procrastination Tuesday -- Anything Related -- Wednesday - Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Show Off Your Stuff -- Create and Share -- A Crafty Soiree -- Whatever Goes Wednesday -- We Did it Wednesday! -- Your Whims Wednesday -- Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- We Did it Wednesday -- Passionately Artistic -- Thursday - Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Chic and Crafty Thursday -- Friday - Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Furniture Feature Friday -- Show and Share Day -- Fun with Food Friday -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Fantabulous Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- No Rules Link Party -- Pity Party -- Saturday - Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special -- Let's Get Crafty Saturday -- Show and Tell Saturdays -- Saturday Spotlight -- Sunday - The DIY Showoff Project Parade -- Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

43 comments:

  1. Well done - another brilliant transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Visiting from Sugar & Spice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea and it turned out adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous!!! I'm a sucker for a cute pincushion transformation! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's the most beautiful pin cushion I've ever seen! Great before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is TOTALLY cute! Love it, love it, love it! Great idea, the colors are fabulous, you did a flawless job! I'd love for you to come pop by my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - this is sew cute! What a creative way to re-purpose the jewelry box. I absolutely love your color combo. That reminds me of the coffee cup pin cushion (or is it a pin cushion coffee cup?) I made a few months ago. I think it's time to blog about it! :) come over and share a cup of coffee with me at http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com. Looking forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SOOO fabulous! I linked to your project on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/lookie-what-she-made-pincushion-from-a-jewelry-box/2011/07/28/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I remember my mom having that same box!!

    Beth
    www.stoneycreekshops.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pin cushion. What a wonderful treasure turned even better. I saw your pin cushion featured on Craft Gossip and had to drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The prettiest pin cushion I have ever seen! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it!!!! Perfects colors, fantastic idea! Love the proof that E6000 really works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is adorable, I saw the after photo first and as a photographer i was hoping it was a cute little stool - i was ready to run out and start looking for one in my area - hey i can use a pincushion too, thrift stores here i come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SEW CUTE!

    I'd love for you to share your adorable idea on my link party...

    I hope to see you there

    http://www.thirtysixthavenue.com/2011/07/sticker-and-party-time-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable and pretty, Catherine! I love the colors!

    Visiting from Frugalicious Friday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very cute..i love the idea, you are amazing dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this project! It turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how that came out. I should find something that would work for that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This came out amazing....I'd love if you linked up on my Weekend Craft Hop!
    http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/2011/07/weekend-craft-hop_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome! I love the colors you chose! Definately my favorite pin cushion ever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that turned out really super!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment!
    I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now that ROCKS! Brilliant idea. Love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really cute! Good Job! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow beautiful! I think the before is beautiful too but the after is just so adorable. The colors are perfect. I would love it if you would stop by and link this up to the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    :) Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so pretty! I love the colours you chose~

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so CUTE!!! More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your pin cusion. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! That did turn out fancy. :) Love the color. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. Hope to see you there. {I'm a new follower.} :)

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE this! I totally used to have a gold jewelry box like that!! I love how you repurposed this! Excellent job. The lime green is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've been featured!

    Check out your feature at my weekly Hookin Up with HoH Link Party!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button if you'd like.

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think your pincushion turned out fabulous! :)
    great color!
    I'm catching you this week,
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is fabulous, Catherine! We are featuring this today and votation also starts today. Thanks for linking up this lovely project and we hope to see you again this week at the party. have a lovely weekend.


    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have the EXACT same little box! I haven't parted with it because I love it's size and shape and was just sure I could figure something out. That was 4 years ago. I am inspired and excited to dig it out of it's drawer and give it a makeover for my brand new studio! Thanks for sharing another wonderful project!Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So I've told you before how much I ADORE you pin cushion!! I completely borrowed this idea to make a pincushion for a friend!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is one of my favorite pin cushions ever! I love the bright color and fun fabric. I featured it on Fun Friday Finds today.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. really cute pin cushion, love your Art Nouveaux blog wear too. thanks for sharing your post

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is an awesome design - I have a similar box which is heart shaped for which the top has broken off but it's too nice to throw away, certainly doing to try this out and find a new use for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...