Saturday, July 2, 2011

Nautical Theme Decor

As part of my stash liquidation mission I finished painting a display piece for our bathroom. I originally purchased it at a thrift store last year (for $1.50) and thought it had a lot of potential but the colors just did not say ocean/beach/nautical to me in any way! (Except for maybe that touch of red)

IMG_3795


I started out by painting the background blue, the boat white and attempting to paint the frame white. But no matter how many layers I painted (with craft paint or artists' acrylic paint) the black would always soak through! It was so frustrating I just put it aside for many, many months.

But a couple days ago I got it back out and decided to finish it, one way or another. Then I got the idea to use the leftover thinned gray/brown paint that I used in my weathered wood shelf.  I used a foam brush and did one light coat over the white of the frame.  I thought the brush strokes gave it almost a faux wood grain kind of look.  I blended just a touch of gray/brown into the background and added a few red accents with a tiny detail brush.

IMG_6159


IMG_6160


IMG_6162


IMG_6163


Now I love it! It looks great hanging in the bathroom (especially with our rich red, vintage, damask towels)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! To all my Canadian readers -- Happy Canada Day! (A day late) And all my American readers -- Happy Independence Day!

-------------------------------
I'll be linking up to these fabulous parties!

Monday - Craft o Maniac Monday -- Pink Hippo Party -- Craft Catwalk -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party -- Making the World Cuter Monday -- Making Monday Marvelous -- Tuesday - Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Take a Look Tuesday -- Show Me What Ya Got -- Tuesday Time Out -- Show and Tell at Blue Cricket -- Tutorial Tuesday -- Wednesday - Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Show Off Your Stuff -- Create and Share -- A Crafty Soiree -- Whatever Goes Wednesday -- We Did it Wednesday! -- Your Whims Wednesday -- Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- We Did it Wednesday -- Passionately Artistic -- Thursday - Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Chic and Crafty Thursday -- Friday - Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Furniture Feature Friday -- Show and Share Day -- Fun with Food Friday -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Fantabulous Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- No Rules Link Party -- Pity Party -- Saturday - Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special -- Saturday is Crafty Day -- Let's Get Crafty Saturday -- Show and Tell Saturdays -- Saturday Spotlight -- Sunday - The DIY Showoff Project Parade -- Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

14 comments:

  1. It turned out fabulous. I love the blue and the frame is perfect. Great touch with the red. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific transformation! The frame really does look like weathered wood, and I love the bright touch of red on the boat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative. I love the transformation. This color combination is so in now, too. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so clean, fresh and stylish now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The frame looks perfect! I think it even looks better than a white frame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the frame turned out.
    It looks almost like it was make from old drift wood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.

    I invite you to follow TOGB.

    God bless and have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Nautical is so in right now. I would love for you to share this project on my Inspiration Board.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party.html

    carolyn | homework

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so appreciate you linking up this wonderful post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very CUTE!

    I'd love for you to share it at my link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this turned out AWESOME! Love the new colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very colorful "new" artwork! :)
    nice job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! I really love how you gave the decor a nice facelift. thanks for sharing. we are featuring this today. grab a featured button if you fancy so ^^)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...