I've moved!
I'm now blogging and selling my creations over at Letizia California (www.letiziacalifornia.com). Come join me in this new adventure!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Paper and Ruffles Lampshade Redo

Have you ever completed a project only to decide you don't like it and do it over again?  That's what happened with a couple lamps I was working on for our master bedroom.  Thankfully I didn't have to redo the whole thing, just the lampshades.

I wanted to try to decorate our bedroom (since it really hasn't been decorated at all) and bring in some warm colors so a while back I spray painted two matching lamps red. 

M Lamp
before
M Lamp 3
after
The two lampshades I had on them were plain white (too stark of a contrast for me), so I Modge Podged some paper with some dried grass and other natural flecks of stuff in it.  At first I hot glued double fold bias tape to the rim of the shade, and it looked pretty good, but I wasn't too in love with it.
Lampshade 3

Lampshade 2

M Lamp 4

So I decided to take off the bias tape and replace it with ruffles.  Okay, so maybe I just wanted an excuse to use this fabulous thing...

IMG_4480

This ruffler attachment, although looks like its modern counterparts, is from 1957.  It's a great companion to my 1954 sewing machine.

I started out by cutting strips of fabric 1" wide (although I could have used ribbon as well) and left the edges raw.

IMG_4478

I just sewed down the middle and had instant gathered trim!  I could have also used elastic thread on the bobbin to get the same result.

IMG_4482

Then with some hot glue, I had my finished product. (I found that ruffles on the top and bottom looked a bit too frilly for my taste)

IMG_4483

IMG_4486

IMG_4488


Linking to all the fabulous link parties on my "Blog Parties I Link to" page.

14 comments:

  1. Great style and the talent to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute I love that you have a vintage sewing machine and that it still works. they don't make 'em like they used to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very elegant! I love it :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all very much! Becky, it's true, this is a strong, well-built machine and has made it to it's third generation. I love it :) Although it's not so portable -- it weighs a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ruffle! And jealous of that ruffler!
    ~Renee @Shabby-Chic-Charming@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ruffle!! You're so creative!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very happy I found your blog - what a super cute DIY project! Stopping by from the Paisley Passions blog hop!

    Wishing you a wonderful 2011!

    - Meg

    [Life of Meg]
    www.megnificentlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Thanks for linking up and sharing at Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions :) Hope you stop by again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO cute! What a fabulous redo! Great job!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from The shabby Chic Cottage. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute!! Just the right touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute idea - I like the paper mod podged onto the shade, I have a stark one I don't love... this might be the solution!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok - I'm lovin the color of those red lampshades! My bedroom so needs a redo!

    Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...