I wanted to try to decorate our bedroom (since it really hasn't been decorated at all) and bring in some warm colors so a while back I spray painted two matching lamps red.
The two lampshades I had on them were plain white (too stark of a contrast for me), so I Modge Podged some paper with some dried grass and other natural flecks of stuff in it. At first I hot glued double fold bias tape to the rim of the shade, and it looked pretty good, but I wasn't too in love with it.
So I decided to take off the bias tape and replace it with ruffles. Okay, so maybe I just wanted an excuse to use this fabulous thing...
This ruffler attachment, although looks like its modern counterparts, is from 1957. It's a great companion to my 1954 sewing machine.
I started out by cutting strips of fabric 1" wide (although I could have used ribbon as well) and left the edges raw.
I just sewed down the middle and had instant gathered trim! I could have also used elastic thread on the bobbin to get the same result.
Then with some hot glue, I had my finished product. (I found that ruffles on the top and bottom looked a bit too frilly for my taste)
Linking to all the fabulous link parties on my "Blog Parties I Link to" page.