Here's the before:
Cute floral pictures, but not quite my style. I also used the frame which I made into a seashell display. I decided that seashells are better in smaller displays, at least for my purposes.
I started by removing the glass, pictures and backing out of each frame. I also had to remove lots of staples from the larger frame, which I did with some pliers and lots of clenching of my teeth.
The larger frame was made to hang in the "profile" direction so I moved the hanger so it would hang "landscape" style. I removed the hanger with pliers and, after measuring to find the middle, hammered it in to the new position. If you do this be sure to put some towels under the frame so you don't mash the molding.
I brushed on three coats of craft paint (using almost a full bottle for all three frames) then one coat of polyacrylic finish. It really made the color brighter to do this step instead of leaving it matte.
The larger frame is the necklace holder so I measured to evenly space five hooks. I just used cup hooks I had from another project.
When drilling the holes I put a little piece of tape around the drill bit so I would not drill too deep.
For the other two frames I stapled some spring twine (for upholstery) to the back. I used a couple of staples to be sure it was sturdy.
Here is the final result (I like how it's pretty much a functional version of the empty frame gallery):
Including the frames, which I picked up at yard sales, and a little bottle of craft paint, my total cost was about $4. I'm sure that beats Pottern Barn by more than a little bit. :)
I'll be linking up to the parties on my "Link Parties" tab.