One night (a long while back when we still lived in Utah) I went to Macy's looking for some shirts [and pants too, but I never find pants that fit right]. It just so happened they were having a big clearance sale, plus an extra 40% off the lowest clearance price. Sweet! I ended up getting a bunch of shirts for $5-$7 each. Unfortunately most of them needed some sort of alteration or refashioning. One of them actually didn't need anything changed, which is rare for me. Ha ha!
This shirt started off as a super overly baggy, tunic length shirt with a belt. I'm sure some photographer made a teensie little model look great in it, but that type of fit just isn't my style.
Ugh. It took lots of pinning and frustration working with the 10+ extra inches around the shirt. I took it in at the sides (going all the way up, including the underarm and down the sleeve tapering to the cuff so I wouldn't have to bother with remaking the cuff to fit the new sleeve). I also added darts to the front and back (along the princess lines) for a better fit and cut about 6" off the bottom and sewed up the new hemline.
To finish it off I took one of the faux leather cords off of the belt, since it seemed like a bit too much with two.
Now I like it.
One project down, only 15 bazillion more to go!
Linking to the parties on my Blog Link Parties page.